Thursday, June 25, 2009

Montana-continued......

So I found out the re-enactment of Custer's Last Stand was Friday and Saturday not Thursday. So, I headed to Great Falls, stopping at Lewis and Clark Caverns (Hwy 2) for lunch. I did not do the cave tour, as it was a 2 mile hike and cost was $12, which I did not want to part with.
I passed the Parker homestead on the way to the cave and stopped to venture inside and read the road sign. The home was wood with a sod roof. It had been supported to keep it from caving in, but looked very original.
After lunch, I returned on HWY 2 to and headed to Great Falls. I went off I-15 at Toston Dam, which was about 5 miles off the highway. It was a quaint campground with boat ramp along the Missouri River. The road was dirt, but was well maintained. I then veered off I-15 again at Holter Lake. Glad I did! This lake is tucked up inside the foothills. It is part of the Missouri River waterway. The lake is large and was inviting me to jump in, but I refrained, since I had no swimming suit.
I stayed in Great Falls at the Hampton Inn, which is a very nice hotel. Rooms were very fresh and clean. I wish I had been able to stay the weekend, as this weekend is the yearly River Run. They charge $85 to float the river, but everyone does it! Hair and boats are painted and decorated for the event, so it is kind of a parade and spectacle. There are street bands, BBQ's, etc. Very fun atmosphere.
Weel, this is last trip for a while- talk later-BYE

No comments: